Andorra Trademark Registration
In Andorra, the legal basis is the Trademark Act of May 11th.Trademark protection is obtained by registration. It can also be acquired by sufficient public recognition. A trademark application has to be filed before the Trademark Office (OMPA) by a local agent. A non-legalized Power of Attorney is sufficient. All applicants need a domestic registration.
Andorra Trade Mark Registration Key Features
- A trademark registration in Andorra is valid for 10 years and starts with registration date. The registration is renewable for periods of 10 years.
- The application process includes a formal examination, an examination of distinctiveness and a search for prior trademarks.
- After registration, the trademark is published by the OMPA who publishes the “Gaseta” (CD-ROM).Duly noted, in Andorra, there are no (national) provisions for filing an opposition against a trademark registration.
- There are no provisions for filing an opposition against a trademark registration.
Andorra Trade Mark Registration Distinctive Benefits
- Andorra Trademark registration gives the proprietor the right to exclusive use of the mark in respect of the goods or services covered by it.
- A registered trademark can be hypothecated as security, meaning that a registered trademark can be pledged as security to secure loan facilities much the same way as immovable property can be bonded.
- A trademark licence can be recorded on the trademark register, giving the licensee rights to institute legal proceedings in the event of infringement.
- A registered trademark can be transferred. The same is not possible for a common law trademark, which can only be transferred with the business.